Choosing between Philadelphia injury attorneys: Top pointers
Did you suffer injuries because of someone’s fault? Were you hurt in a car crash that was not your fault? Are you a victim of medical malpractice? These are some circumstances in Pennsylvania when you need legal advice and support. While references are always handy for choosing between Philadelphia, PA personal injury attorneys, you should also check online. Before you hire one, here are some pointers to consider.
- Consider experience. Typically, many lawyers work for the same personal injury law firm, and it is quite possible to have a team of legal experts with collective experience. When you talk to a lawyer, ask them if they specialize in handling cases like yours. Specific experience is always an advantage.
- Ask about trial experience. Not all personal injury lawyers are trial lawyers. While attorneys typically want to settle things out of court, there are exceptions. Find an attorney who has experience representing clients at trial. You may also want to check if the concerned attorney is a Super Lawyer.
- Know the results. The best way to assess the work of an injury attorney is to check their work profile. Do they have a few prolific and landmark cases? What are some of their top settlements? Are they willing to share details of their significant cases?
- Find more about the fee. Attorneys taking personal injury cases typically work on a contingency fee basis. The attorney doesn’t get paid until they win the case and a settlement for the client. You need to know the contingency fee in advance, and it shouldn’t exceed 40%.
- Consider response and attention. At a time when you are dealing with serious injuries and financial losses, you need an attorney who is quick to respond and has some level of empathy. Find a lawyer who is open to answering your questions and doesn’t act too busy.
- Check reviews. We strongly recommend claimants and victims to check the reviews of a law firm or attorney before hiring them. These reviews tend to be on the extreme side, but if a law firm has too many bad reviews, it could be a sign of slapdash work.
Websites like Nolo and Justia have ready listings of personal injury lawyers in Philadelphia. Most law firms also have a website these days, where you can find other key details related to their expertise and work profile. Meet a lawyer and get a free assessment of your case.